Friday 13 October 2017

Spooky Recommended Reads 2017




The month of October is upon us, so I thought it only fitting to come up with a list of some of my favourite creepy, scary books; right in time for Halloween.

So let's jump to it!

A Madness so Discreet by Mandy McGinnis




The main character in this book, Grace Mae, is thrown into an Asylum by her own family.
All this was to hide the fact that she was pregnant... with her father's child. The beginning of her life inside the Asylum is brutal. She faces torture and 'procedures' to try and 'cure' her from the supposed insanity that she has. There she meets a Doctor who helps her escape to a new Asylum; perhaps even a better one. There she helps the Doctor investigate murder and the story hits a shocking end.

I thoroughly enjoyed this story. I loved the twist and turns it took as well as the shocking nature of life inside an Asylum. The author actually went and visited various Asylum’s to write this novel.


You can check out my full review at the link here and at Goodreads





The Woman in Black by Susan Hill


In this book Arthur Kipps, a solicitor, recalls his past; telling his new family about the pain and anguish of losing his son and first wife. We learn that he travelled to a moor in England to Eel Marsh House to attend the funeral and affairs of Mrs. Alice Drablow. His actions lead to a tumble of events and secrets that are sinister and terrifying; including a rocking chair in a Nursery and the pains of the past. This all leads to an encounter with The Woman in Black.

I actually read this book a while ago for an English assignment and although it has been a few years I can still remember how creepy and eerie I found it. I'm sure quite a few of you may have already read this book- but I thought it was a perfect book to add to this list.

I don't have a review up on my blog- but if you would like one please let me know in the comments.

Be sure to check it out at Goodreads







House of Furies by Madeleine Roux 



Louise Ditton escapes a harsh boarding school by finding employment at a boarding house, Coldthistle House. She quickly learns that not all is as at seems. She learns the truth of its inhabitants and its owner, Mr Morningside. Soon she begins to question the dark secrets of those around her.

I was sent this book by HarperCollins for free in return for my review (which you can check out here) back in May. I loved every second of it and I am really looking forward to the second book in the series. Madeleine Roux's writing is creepy and eerie; I found many moments scary and was constantly trying to figure out what may happen next.

This book is a great read for Halloween so be sure to check it out at Goodreads.






The Aslyum Series by Madeleine Roux




Yep, another series from the same author above. This book features our main character, Dan Crawford, who is looking forward to making new friends before staring College. Upon arriving at the program he came to realise that his dorm for the summer used to be a Sanatorium, or rather an Asylum; one that was used as a last resort for the criminally insane.

Now I haven't read the whole series yet (which also features a prequel and a collection of novellas) but I cannot wait. What could be better than reading about Asylum’s during the month of Halloween? This book also features photos from real Asylum’s to give it an even creepier factor. 

Check out the first book on Goodreads!






The Silver Eyes & The Twisted Ones
by Scott Cawthon and Kira Breed-Wrisley


These two books I read this year and loved them! They are based on the popular game series: Five Night's at Freddy's but, I think everyone can enjoy these books.



The main character, Charlie, reunites with her friends on the anniversary of a tragedy that torn her home town apart. Her Father created the four animatronics inside Freddy Fazbear's Pizza: the place of a deadly murder and all she wants to do is forget the past. Curiosity leads her and her friends inside the old Pizza place and there they discover the dark truth, secrets and agenda of the animatronics.

I actually preferred book 2 over the first but I highly recommend both these books. They're creepy and really get you guessing at what may happen.

You can check out my reviews for The Silver Eyes here and The Twisted Ones here 
Also check out the first book at Goodreads






Stalking Jack the Ripper & Hunting Prince Dracula
by Kerri Maniscalco


Who doesn't love a good murder and mystery book? I don't have a review up for either of these books yet but be on the lookout for them! I loved and devoured these books so I highly recommend you check them out.

These two books feature the main character, Audrey Rose Wadsworth who, against her Father's and society's judgement, studies forensic science. In the first book, a series of murders put her smack into the middle of Jack the Ripper. 

The second, Audrey arrives at the dreaded castle of the supposed Prince Dracula where she plans to study more forensic science with her close fro Thomas. Mysterious corpses that are drained of blood and the mystery around Prince Dracula put Audrey into an investigation of the true culprit. 

These books are perfect for a creepy Halloween read. I love Kerri Maniscalco's writing; she's perfect with coming up with a fantastic storyline to already well known tales.

You can check out book one at Goodreads here as well as book two here





So that's it for my recommended Halloween reads for now. I may make this a yearly feature if you enjoy it!

Let me know any of your favourite 'creepy' reads down below or if I missed any of your favourites.


HAPPY HALLOWEEN!







No comments:

Post a Comment