Friday 17 November 2017

Favourite Fantasy Books 2017




So it's almost the end of the year and I thought it was about time for my first annual blog post of my favourite fantasy books that I read in 2017!
Now I read a lot of fantasy books and this year I've read a tonne that I loved, so I decided to narrow it down to my top 5 that I read this year! So let's get started....








Lost in a Book 
by Jennifer Donnelly


Lost in a Book was a novel released to go alongside the live action movie. It tells the story of Belle and the Beast during her period within the castle. She discovers a magical book that transports her to the magical world of Nevermore.

Belle finds everything she has always longed for but is everything as peaceful as it seems?

So at Number 5 we have this beauty of a book. I picked this up before seeing the live action movie and I loved it. It was beautifully written and I enjoyed every second.

You can read my full review here

Release Date: January 31st 2017
Links: Goodreads
Rating: 7/10










The City of Brass by S.A. Chakraborty 



The City of Brass tells the story of Nahri, a girl who has never believed in magic, who lives the streets of 18th century Cairo.

But when Nahri accidentally summons an equally sly, darkly mysterious djinn warrior to her side during one of her cons, she’s forced to accept that the magical world she thought only existed in childhood stories is real. When she enters a new world she discovers that true power is brutal and fierce.


I was sent this book mid-way through the year from Harper Collins Canada and I just had to include it on this list; making it my Number 4 favourite fantasy book from this year. Nahri is a strong, badass female lead and S.A Chakraborty has done a fantastic job of bringing this story to live.

Be sure to check out my full review here

Release Date: November 14th 2017
Links: Goodreads
Rating: 8/10











The Star-Touched Queen 
by Roshani Chokshi


Maya is cursed; she has a horoscope that promises a marriage of death and destruction so she has earned only the scorn and fear of her father’s kingdom. Her world is torn apart when her father, the Raja, arranges a wedding of political convenience to quell outside rebellions.

Maya becomes the Queen of Akaran and wife of Amar. But Akaran has its own secrets and Maya quickly suspects her life may be in danger.

At Number 3 we have The Star-Touched Queen and I'm sure quite a few of you have already read this book. I finally picked it up this year and loved it! I just couldn't put it down and finished it within a day.

Release Date: April 26th 2016
Links: Goodreads
Rating: 8/10












A Court of Wings and Ruin 
by Sarah J Maas


A war looms of Feyre and everyone she loves. She has returned to the Spring Court to gain new information on Tamlin and the invading King. To do so she is forced to play a deadly game of deceit – and one slip may spell doom not only for Feyre, but for her world as well. 

As war bears down upon them all, Feyre must decide who to trust amongst the dazzling and lethal High Lords – and hunt for allies in unexpected places. 

At Number 2 we have what was probably my most anticipated read of 2017. A Court of Wings and Ruin was everything I had wanted and more. I also had the joy to meet Sarah J Maas at a signing here in Canada. If you haven't checked out this series I highly recommend you do!

Release Date: May 2nd 2017
Links: Goodreads
Rating: 10/10








And now we reach my top fantasy read of the year (*insert drumroll*)....








The Last Namsara 
by Kristen Ciccarelli


Asha is a fierce dragon slayer known as the Iskari; she conquers each dragon and brings its head to the king, but no kill can free her from the shackles that await at home...

When she’s offered the chance to gain her freedom in exchange for the life of the most powerful dragon in Firgaard, she finds that there may be more truth to the ancient stories than she ever could have expected...

So my Number 1 fantasy read from 2017 is The Last Namsara! This is a fantastically written debut novel from an author right here in Canada. I didn't initially have this book on my tbr (and I missed out on an arc) but I picked up a signed copy at my local bookstore and loved it! 

You can check out my full review here

Release Date: October 3rd 2017
Links: Goodreads
Rating: 10/10










So there you have it. My top 5 Fantasy book that I read in 2017! I hope you enjoyed this blog post and seeing what I loved in the Fantasy genre this year. Let me know if you've read any of them down below! 
Until next time!




No comments:

Post a Comment