Friday 31 August 2018

RECAP: Indigo YA Preview, Fall 2018





On Tuesday 28th I travelled to downtown Toronto to attend the Indigo YA 
Fall preview event! I was very excited to receive  an email from the team at Indigo 
inviting me to the event and I wasn't sure what to expect. 

So today I'm going to share the books that we talked about along with
the books that I received in my goodie bag.






The event started at 5pm with a meet-and-greet session. We had the chance to chat with all the bloggers/influencers that had been invited to the event as well as the Indigo team that was going to be running the presentation. There was also food and drinks for everyone as well as a bunch of books that were displayed around the room. 

I loved getting the chance to snap pictures of all the different books and having the chance to meet some new bloggers/influencers that I hadn't met before.



We were all given a handout with all the various books we would be talking
about and the different categories that they fell under. I loved having this and
I was able to take a bunch of notes on all the various books as well
as highlight the ones that I am most excited for. 














The presentation began with introduction to the Indigo team that would be 
running the evening. Then we jumped straight into highly anticipated books 
for the rest of the year. 

There are a lot of amazing books still to come out this year and there are so many 
I'm excited for. Some fun facts: Indigo's most preordered books if Fire 
and Blood by George R.R Martin and Bridge of Clay by Markus Zusak
took 13 years to finish writing!












After that was the Northern Lights section where we discussed some amazing 
poetry books that are coming out. I don't often read poetry but I've been really
enjoyed The Sun and her flowers by Rupi Kaur.

I'm also excited to pick up Sedley by Chelsea Coupal. Coupal was born in a small
town in Saskatchewan and her work is about her conflict at whether she should stay in her
small town or move to the big city. The Indigo team raved about this little book and I can't
wait to read it!











Then we moved onto Great books for YA Explorers. The books feature a
wide range of themes from mental health, to sexuality and feminism. 

I'm very excited to pick up Super Chill: a year living anxiously by Adam 
Ellis and I'm afraid of Men by Vivek Shraya.











Next we talked about Graphic Novels. Again, there are a lot that
I'm very excited about.

In particular, I'm very excited for The Comet by Arianna Irwin. The
artwork on the cover is unlike anything else that I have seen and I'm extremely
curious as to where the story will go.











Manga was next and I was very excited to get to this section. I'm very excited for
a new manga from the artist of One Punch MAN and a new manga called
Eden Zero from the creator of Fairytail.

We also have some beautiful editions of Sailor Moon that I am dying
to get my hands on.










Contemporary is a genre I never used to read much of but started to really
enjoy late 2017.

There are a bunch of amazing contemporary books coming out in the next
couple of months that I know people cannot wait to get their hands on. From
What If It's Us to A Very Large Expanse of Sea, there are a bunch of books
within the genre to be excited for.










We then moved on to Page to Screen. We've been lucky in recent years that so
many wonderful YA books have been made into a movie. The year isn't over and
we still have many to be excited for.


We of course have The Hate You Give (that I personally cannot wait to go see).
Mortal Engines is also another movie I'm very excited to see. Peter Jackson has
made the movie so I only hope it is as good as I am hoping it will be.









We then had a small break where we had a chance to get some more snacks and
chat some more with the people around us. Then we continued on to my favourite
genre, Fantasy.


There are always a tonne of amazing fantasy books coming out each year. We only
talked about a handful of Fantasy books because, let's face it, if we talked about them
all we would have been there until the end of the year.


I'm super excited for The Caged Queen by Kristen Ciccarelli which follows
a new character from the world of The Last Namsara. I'm also very excited
to read Shadow of the Fox by Julia Kagawa which is based ona Japanese
Mythology.







Great New Science Fiction & Dystopia

and

Great New Paranormal












Next was Romance which was probably the section I wasn't interested
in the least. Romance isn't a genre I tend to read but there are still some
books that sounds fantastic.


I might just have to pick a few of them up...









Then came books that were Under the Radar. These were books that Indigo
felt needed more attention that they were receiving..


There are a bunch of different genres and quite a few of the books I immediately
added to my TBR.


Are there any books you think 'fell under the radar'?









If you love The Hate You Give










Lastly, we talked all about The Indigo Book Box.


If you didn't know, Indigo started a book box in May 2018 with a box
featuring The Fates Divide by Veronica Roth. Since then they have released
various book boxes, all featuring a signed book and some bookish goodies.


I've loved all the boxes so far and I look forward to seeing what they come
up in the future. I'm pleased to let you know that they plan on continuing the
box into 2019 and they are hoping to start up a monthly programme!


(I have unboxes for the boxes so far that you should check out!
You can find them all under Unboxings on my blog!)









Lastly, I wanted to share the books that I received in my goodie bag! I was
shocked at just how many books (both arcs and finished copies) that
we were gifted. My TBR just grew a lot!


The Sun and her Flowers
Takane & Hana 
Mortal Engines
Hole in the Middle
Empire of Sand
Dear Evan Hansen
Light Years
The Greatest Love Story Ever Told
To Kill a Mockingbird: The Graphic Novel
A Winter's Promise
Queen of Air and Darkness Chapter Sample
Manga bookmarks
THUG Movie Poster
I'm Afraid of Men Pins









The entire event was amazing and the entire Indigo team was extremely welcoming and were very passionate about everything that we talked about.

I hope you've enjoyed a look into some of the amazing books that are still to come this year.

I just want to say a thank you again to Indigo for the invite and I'm looking forward to hopefully attending another event in the future!













No comments:

Post a Comment