Friday 17 August 2018

REVIEW: An Unwanted Guest by Shari Lapena

Genre: Thriller, Mystery

Publisher: DoubleDay Canada

ISBN: 0385690797

Format: Hardback, Paperback, E-Book,
Audio-Book

Release Date: 7th August 2018


Links: Goodreads, Amazon.com, Indigo,
B&N, Book Depository

Website


Rating: 8/10


Synopsis:

It's winter in the Catskills and the weather outside is frightful, but Mitchell's Inn is so delightful! The cozy lodge nestled deep in the woods is perfect for a relaxing--maybe even romantic--weekend away. The Inn boasts spacious old rooms with huge wood-burning fireplaces, a well-stocked wine cellar and opportunities for cross-country skiing, snowshoeing or just curling up with a book and someone you love.


So when the weather takes a turn for the worse and a blizzard cuts off the electricity--and all contact with the outside world--the guests settle in for the long haul. The power's down but they've got candles, blankets and firewood--a genuine rustic experience!

Soon, though, a body turns up--surely an accident. When a second body appears, they start to panic. Then they find a third body. Within the snowed-in paradise, something--or someone--is picking off the guests one by one. They can't leave, and with no cell service, there's no prospect of getting the police in until the weather loosens its icy grip.


The weekend getaway has turned deadly. For some couples, it's their first time away. For others, it will be their last. And there's nothing they can do about it but huddle in and hope they can survive the storm.





Review:



**Thank you to PRH Canada for sending me a copy in return for my review**



I'd never read a book by Shari Lapena before jumping into An Unwanted Guest, but I'd heard good things about her other books. I ended up loving this one and it's made me want to pick up more of her work.

The book was fantastic. It starts off calm, a nice trip to a Lodge, but quite quickly things start to go wrong. The end up huddling together hoping they can outlast the storm and the deadly things that could be lurking inside.

There were various characters to keep track of in the book, but Shari Lapena did a wonderful job at creating them and making them interesting. She also built their relationships with one another fantastically. They all had their own reasons for wanting to get away for the weekend and none of them expected it to turn out as it did. I loved getting to read about the characters' fears and that they didn't know who to trust amongst themselves.

The atmosphere created in Shari Lapena's words was amazing. I felt as if I was really there with the characters trying to survive the night. The book switches between various characters' perspectives which I really enjoyed. I'm not always a fan of a book following multiple perspectives; but Shari Lapena pulled it off fantastically.

This book gave me chills. I was constatly on the edge of my seat, trying to work out what was going on and who I could trust. In many ways it reminded me of an Agatha Christie book and I loved it.  

I was constantly guessing at who the murderer was  and who wasn't. At many points I thought it was a complete outsider and there were times where I thought it was one of the main characters. I loved that I was constantly guessing and the twist at the end was a complete surprise.

I highly recommend this book. The thriller/mystery genre is one of my new favourites and An Unwanted Guest is one of my recent favourites. I think I'll be picking up more of Shari Lapena's books sometime soon.





No comments:

Post a Comment