Tuesday 19 March 2019

REVIEW: With the Fire on High by Elizabeth Acevedo


Genre: Contemporary, Young Adult

Publisher: HarperTeen

ISBN: 0062662856

Format: Hardback, E-Book, Audio-Book

Release Date: 7th May 2019


Links: Goodreads, Amazon.com, Indigo,
B&N, Book Depository


Synopsis:

With her daughter to care for and her abuela to help support, high school senior Emoni Santiago has to make the tough decisions, and do what must be done. The one place she can let her responsibilities go is in the kitchen, where she adds a little something magical to everything she cooks, turning her food into straight-up goodness. Still, she knows she doesn’t have enough time for her school’s new culinary arts class, doesn’t have the money for the class’s trip to Spain — and shouldn’t still be dreaming of someday working in a real kitchen. But even with all the rules she has for her life — and all the rules everyone expects her to play by — once Emoni starts cooking, her only real choice is to let her talent break free.







Review:



** ARC provided by Harper Collins Frenzy, in return for my
honest review **




This book was such a great read. I first heard about this book after attending the Spring Frenzy Presents, the way the team talked about this book had me really excited to pick it up. So of course, as soon as I saw I had a copy in my swag bag I just had to start reading it.

This book follows Emoni, a teenage mother who is doing her best a juggling school, her future and taking care of her daughter. She dreams of working in a real kitchen and sharing her love of cooking with people around her.

Emoni was a very beautiful character. I loved following her journey into believing that she can have the future she dreams of while still being the perfect mum to her daughter. Her motivation to follow her dreams despite the odds being against her was really inspiring. I also really enjoyed that Emoni didn't let the judgement of people around her get in her way. She learnt to take each day as it came and doesn't let their judgement effect who she really is.

The side characters were also wonderful. I really enjoyed Emoni's relationship with her best friend, Grandma and daughter. The relationship between Emoni and Malachi was written really well. They have a relationship built upon respect and knowing and respecting one another's boundaries. I really enjoyed their journey with one another and that it wasn't instant-love.

The relationship between Elmoni and Tyrone shows that it's okay to feel things you might not expect. It may not have worked out between the two of them, but both parents put their daughter first and learn to rely on each other for the sake of her.

With the Fire on High had a really amazing essence to it that had me completely hooked. I loved the shorter chapters and I think it really helped the story flow. I especially loved the inclusion of recipes. It was a really nice touch to the book that I felt also helped show the passion Emoni has for cooking.

Elizabeth Acevedo is a fantastic writer. With the Fire on High is a fantastic story that I have fallen in love with. It's definitely one of my favourite contemporary reads of this year so far.



No comments:

Post a Comment