Thursday 21 September 2017

REVIEW: Other World: Loved by P.C and Kristin Cast

Genre: Young Adult/Fantasy/Paranormal

Publisher: Blackstone Publishing

ISBN: 1538431122

Links: Goodreads, Amazon.com, Indigo
B&N, Book Depository

Website

Release Date: July 11th 2017



Rating: 6/10


Summary:


It's Zoey's eighteenth birthmas and the Nerd Herd has been scattered across the country busily adulting for almost a year when Stark calls them back to Tulsa to surprise Z. But all is not well in T-town. Strange, dark signs are appearing--could it be possible Neferet is stirring? Not willing to chance disaster striking again, Zoey calls on her newly reunited friends to circle with her and add a layer of protection over Neferet's grotto jail. Easy-peasy, right?


Wrong. Nothing at the House of Night is ever as it seems.With rabid red vampyres closing in, Zoey and the Nerd Herd must come together again and battle evil. But a year is a long time. Have these old friends grown too far apart? When the world fractures and allies become enemies, will darkness devour friendships or will light save those she's loved?




Rating:



So after 12 books, a handful of novellas and some other books, was this book really needed in the series? Well no. No it really wasn't... but did I enjoy it? Hell yes!


This one takes place a year after the events in the main House of Night series, which is exactly what I was hoping. After the ending of the last book in the main series how could you not want more?

Zoe remains in Tulsa while the rest of the 'nerd-herd' are spread across America, setting up more House of Nights. The characters have really grown into themselves but still remain the loveable 'nerd-herd' from before.

I loved reading about Zoe again. She gained strength and wisdom after everything she's been through since being marked. I loved her new role as the High Priestess of the Tulsa House of Night. To me it seemed only right she be granted such a high place among her society after everything she did to help protect it.

The story (like the others) features chapters from different character point of views. However, I wasn't as fond of it in this book. Yes, I loved having the chance to catch up with my favourite characters but honestly, I just wanted to read from Zoe's point of view.


Let's mention the dialogue. It's cringy... super cringy. Now, after reading the other books this shouldn't have been a huge surprise to me. I suppose I'd had forgotten how bad it can get at times. I didn't stop reading though. Not once. I really do love the characters (especially Stevie Rae) and the world building. I just feel P.C and Kristin Cast fall flat when it comes to dialogue.


I really loved this story and its plot. To me, it only made sense that it would continue in this way. But, I can already tell where the next book in this new Other World Series is going to go... and it just seems kind of similar to what happened in the main series with Zoe. I suppose we'll see if I am right sometime next year.

Will I be picking up the next book? Yes, of course. The House of Night Series was one of the major collections of books that got me into reading so I just can't help myself. I just hope this new spin-off series doesn’t turn into another 12 books. I really don't think it needs it. Originally it was just meant to be this one book to celebrate the tenth anniversary. This has already been changed as at the end of this book you find out the next one will be called Lost.

But, do I recommend it?

If you've read the main series and find yourself craving more from Zoe and the 'nerd-herd' then yes. Pick this book up. But, if you left feeling satisfied... well, best leave this book alone.