Friday 17 May 2019

REVIEW: The Haunted by Danielle Vega







Genre:
 Horror, Paranormal, Young Adult

Publisher: Razorbill

ISBN: 0451481461

Format: Hardback, E-Book, Audio-Book

Release Date: 4th June 2019

Links: GoodreadsAmazon.comIndigo,
B&NBook Depository


Synopsis:

Hendricks Becker-O’Malley is new in town, and she’s bringing baggage with her. With a dark and wild past, Hendricks doesn’t think the small town her parents moved her to has much to offer her in terms of excitement. She plans on laying low, but when she’s suddenly welcomed into the popular crowd at school, things don’t go as expected.

Hendricks learns from her new friends that the fixer-upper her parents are so excited about is notorious in town. Local legend says it’s haunted. Hendricks doesn’t believe it. Until she’s forced to. Blood-curdling screams erupt from the basement, her little brother wakes up covered in scratches, and something, or someone pushes her dad down the stairs. With help from the mysterious boy next door, Hendricks makes it her mission to take down the ghosts . . . if they don’t take her first.





Review:


**Thanks to PenguinTeen Canada for sending me
an arc in return for my honest review**



YA horror? Yes please!

This is Danielle Vega's newest book and also the first book of hers I have read! I actually have the first three books in her Merciless series that I definitley want to pick up after reading this one!

The Haunted follows Hendrick's who has baggage and a past she wants to forget. She hopes to lay low and forget her traumatic past but things don't quite go to plan. Their new house is notorious and the local legend claims that it is haunted.

Hendricks is often left alone with her younger brother. She has to learn to cope with her past while also taking on a responsible role. Many strange and creepy things begin to happen quickly in a place she was hoping would be her salvation.

I felt that some of the characters could have been a little more developed. However, I never felt disconnected. The storyline and creepiness had me on the edge of my seat. I found myself constantly trying to guess at what was coming next and yet I didn't want the book to come to an end.

The book had a love triangle which I personally wasn't the biggest fan of. But, I did like the tension and creepiness that Hendricks's crazy ex-boyfriend brought to the story.

This isn't the scariest book I've read. Yet, I loved this book. The ghosts and reasons for the hauntings was done fantastically and I really enjoyed the development of this throughout the book. This book was fast-paced, chilling and the first half of the book really had me on the edge of my seat.

Danielle Vega has created a setting that is very dark and foreboding. The environment and descriptions of the landscape was incredibly detailed and I could really picture the town.

This book was a wonderful read. Danielle Vega is a fantastic writer and I couldn't help but be pulled in by the creepiness and eagerness to see where the plot would lead. If you're looking for a book that has a good 'spine-shivering' storyline with a legend of a haunted house and ghosts, then this is the book for you.




No comments:

Post a Comment