Sunday 22 December 2019

BOOKMAS 2019: Day Five, Book Review




Welcome to day five of Bookmas 2019 and
another book review!


Today's book review is for the new
upcoming book by Melissa De La Cruz:
The Queen's Assassin...





Genre: Fantasy, Young Adult

Publisher: G. P. Putnam's Sons Books for Young Readers

ISBN: 0525515917

Release Date: 4th February 2020

Links: Goodreads, Amazon.com, Indigo, B&N,
Book Depository


Synopsis:

Caledon Holt is the Kingdom of Renovia's deadliest weapon. No one alive can best him in brawn or brains, which is why he's the Guild's most dangerous member and the Queen's one and only assassin. He's also bound to the Queen by an impossible vow--to find the missing Deian Scrolls, the fount of all magical history and knowledge, stolen years ago by a nefarious sect called the Aphrasians.

Shadow has been training all her life to follow in the footsteps of her mother and aunts--to become skilled enough to join the ranks of the Guild. Though magic has been forbidden since the Aphrasian uprising, Shadow has been learning to control her powers in secret, hoping that one day she'll become an assassin as feared and revered as Caledon Holt.

When a surprise attack brings Shadow and Cal together, they're forced to team up as assassin and apprentice to hunt down a new sinister threat to Renovia. But as Cal and Shadow grow closer, they'll uncover a shocking web of lies and secrets that may destroy everything they hold dear. With war on the horizon and true love at risk, they'll stop at nothing to protect each other and their kingdom in this stunning first novel in the Queen's Secret series.






Review:


**Book sent to me by the publisher in return
for my honest review**



This is the first book by Melissa De La Cruz I have read and I really enjoyed it. I was recently sent this book by PenguinTeen Canada, so a big thank you to them for sending me an early copy.

This story follows an assassin, Caledon Holt, the most dangerous assassin in the Guild. He was bound to the Queen in a quest to find missing scrolls that were stolen years ago by a sect. Then we have Shadow who has been training to follow in her families footsteps and become stronger and more skilled to join a Guild. The two characters are forced together to hunt down a new threat to Renovia.

Shadow is a very skilled fighter who just wants to follow her Mother and Aunts path. But, she's expected to follow a different path. I admired her determination in following her heart and passion and I enjoyed reading about her journey into finding her true self. Shadow is independent, determined and strong. I really enjoyed her as a character. However, I feel as though she started to lose a little of her personality at some point in the book and it felt a little strange.

The book switches profiles between Shadow and Caledon. What I found interesting was that for Shadow it was told in first person where as Caldeon's was told in third person. I thought it was an interesting way of telling the story, and isn't something I have seen before. It did take some getting used to but I ended up enjoying it.

I actually preferred Cal over Shadow. Where I felt like Shadow lost herself a little towards the end of the book, Cal stayed determined with a clear mind on what his task is. He's a strong character with a life with a Guild and working beside the Queen.

The story focuses a lot on the relationship between Shadow and Caledon. Their romance started slow, starting with them pretending to be brother and sister to stay undercover. Though their relationship wasn't the slowest build, and at times felt insta-love, I still enjoyed their relationship.

I would have liked there to have been bigger focus on 'The Queen's Assassin'. From the title, I expected the book to be focused a lot on Cal but instead there was a big emphasis on Shadow. I also think it could have benefitted from a little more world building.

Melissa De la Cruz is a fantastic writer. I really enjoyed her writing style and even though there were some parts I wasn't the biggest fan of, I did love reading the book.

I recommend this book if you are a fan of fantasy and romance books. I look forward to the next book.





No comments:

Post a Comment