Tuesday 3 April 2018

REVIEW: This Fallen Prey by Kelley Armstrong

Genre: Mystery/Thriller

Publisher: DoubleDay Canada

ISBN: 0385690894

Format: Hardback, Paperback, E-Book,
Audio-Book

Release Date: 30th Jan 2018


Links: Goodreads, Amazon.com, Indigo
B&N, Book Depository

Website, Facebook, Twitter


Rating: 6/10


Synopsis:

When Casey Duncan first arrived at Rockton, the off-the-grid, isolated community built as a haven for people running from their pasts, she had no idea what to expect. There are no cell phones, no internet, no mail, and no way of getting in or out without the town council's approval. She certainly didn't expect to become the town homicide detective. But, the very last thing she expected was for the council to drop a dangerous criminal into their midst without a plan to keep him imprisoned. And she never thought that she'd have to be responsible for him.
The longer Oliver Brady stays in town, the more people seem to die around him. When evidence begins piling up that someone inside Rockton is working as his accomplice, Casey races to figure out who exactly Brady is and what crimes he's truly responsible for committing.









Review:



**Thanks to Penguin Random House Canada for sending me the book in return for my honest review**




Casey Duncan moves to Rockton, an isolated community built as a haven for those running away from their pasts. You can't use the internet, a cellphone or receive mail without the town council's permission. Casey becomes the town's homicide detective- a role she didn't expect. But, when the council drops a dangerous criminal into their midst she quickly has to take responsibility.

I love the whole concept of the book. A town that's cut off from the rest of the world is a concept that had me hooked from the start. From the fast paced mystery to the unusual setting and the even more unusual characters that make up Rockton, this series stand out.

This book had moments where I was on the edge of my seat. There are villains hiding around every corner, and Casey is essentially being forced to deal with whatever situation the council deems necessary. It really pushed the town of Rockton to its limits and the suspense that came with it was fantastic. The plot twist was also interesting and not one that I saw coming.

I wouldn't say this is my favourite book of Kelley Armstrong's but it was enjoyable. Unfortunately, I wasn't completely hooked with the book. Although parts definitely interested me, I wasn't completely committed to the story. The first third or so of the book I was really interested but that began to fade and I just wanted the storyline to wrap up.

I'd also like to note that the book doesn't actually say anywhere on it that it is the third book in the series. Maybe it was just my copy of the book, but this definitely confused me when I first started reading. But, I quickly realised that this book was clearly part of a series.

Overall, Kelley Armstrong does a fantastic job building suspense and the entire premise of the book is a unique one I loved. But, for me personally, I felt the book was missing a little something that would have kept me hooked throughout.








No comments:

Post a Comment