Tuesday 6 November 2018

REVIEW: The Dark Days Club by Alison Goodman




Genre: Fantasy, Historical, Young Adult


Publisher: Viking Books for Young Reads

ISBN: 0670785474

Format: Hardback, Paperback

Release Date: 26th January 2016


Links: Goodreads, Amazon.com, Indigo,
B&N, Book Depository


Rating: 8/10


Synopsis:

London, April 1812.

On the eve of eighteen-year-old Lady Helen Wrexhall’s presentation to the queen, one of her family’s housemaids disappears-and Helen is drawn into the shadows of Regency London. There, she meets Lord Carlston, one of the few who can stop the perpetrators: a cabal of demons infiltrating every level of society. Dare she ask for his help, when his reputation is almost as black as his lingering eyes? And will her intelligence and headstrong curiosity wind up leading them into a death trap?






Review:


I recently purchased the first two books in this series on BookOutlet and I'm glad I did. 

I didn't know much about this series when I started reading it. I had heard people rave about it though so I was super excited to finally buy the books to read.

The story follows Lady Helen on the eve of her presentation to the queen when one of her housemaid's disappears. She finds herself in the shadows of Regency London where she meets Lord Carlston. The two join together to try and uncover the mysteries.

The historical accuracy and detail was amazing. Alison Goodman did a fantastic job at creating the world and there were times where I recognised the locations that were being described. I did feel the start was a little slow. But, each chapter had something to keep me reading and I really enjoyed the story. From the middle till the end, the book was filled with non-stop action and I was hooked.

I really enjoyed the characters and the setting. Lady Helen has faced many hardships in her life. Both her parents died while she was young and since then she has been living with her aunt and uncle. She has pressures to represent her family and find a good husband after rumors spread that her mother may have been a traitor to the throne. Rules for women were hugely restricting and Helen struggles with it every day. But she still has her personality and dreams for the future. In a world where she is being controlled she still has the option to decide her path and I loved that about this book.

The romance was slow building, which I much preferred. The story didn't focus on the romance and it wasn't automatic. I really enjoyed the small hints of more romance to come and I can't wait to see where it goes in the rest of the series. 

The combination of regency and the supernatural was done fantastically. 

This was my first book that I've read by Alison Goodman and I was completely hooked. I can't wait to read the next book in the series and see where the story goes. 




No comments:

Post a Comment