Friday 1 March 2019

REVIEW: The Hiding Place by C.J Tudor






Genre: Thriller, Mystery


Publisher:
 DoubleDay Canada

ISBN: 038569010X

Format: Hardback, Paperback, E-Book,
Audio-Book

Release Date: 5th February 2019


Links: Goodreads, Amazon.com, Indigo,
B&N, Book Depository


Synopsis:

Joe never wanted to come back to Arnhill. After the way things ended with his old gang--the betrayal, the suicide, the murder--and after what happened when his sister went missing, the last thing he wanted to do was return to his hometown. But Joe doesn't have a choice. Because judging by what was done to that poor Morton kid, what happened all those years ago to Joe's sister is happening again. And only Joe knows who is really at fault.

Lying his way into a teaching job at his former high school is the easy part. Facing off with former friends who are none too happy to have him back in town--while avoiding the enemies he's made in the years since--is tougher. But the hardest part of all will be returning to that abandoned mine where it all went wrong and his life changed forever, and finally confronting the shocking, horrifying truth about Arnhill, his sister and himself. Because for Joe, the worst moment of his life wasn't the day his sister went missing.

It was the day she came back.







Review:


**Thanks to Penguin Random House Canada for sending me a
finished copy in return for my honest review**




This is the follow up to C.J Tudor's debut novel: The Chalk Man. I loved her first book and it quickly became one of my favourite thrillers. When I heard about The Hiding Man, I was dying to get my hands on a copy. I was hooked on this book from the very beginning.

Joe returns to Arnhill, years after a terrible incident that left him and his friends shaking. He wants nothing to do with his old gang and after what happened to his younger sister, Arnhill is the last place he wants to be. The worst moment of his life wasn't the day his sister went missing, but the day she came back.

My favourite character was, of course, the protagonist Joe. However, all the character were written fantastically. Each character had their own secrets that they were desperate to hide and I loved how it all unraveled.

The start of this book had me on the edge of my seat. It was creepy, gruesome and chilling. The first chapter is a look into the past, and then jumps into the present time and Joe returning to his childhood town. The chapters switch between the past and present which really helped me feel a deeper understanding and connection to the main character. I loved the insight into what truly had happened to his sister and I was not disappointed.

What I didn't expect with this book was the subtle hints towards something supernatural. I loved that it wasn't a big focus of the book and instead the mystery of the characters was the main focus. There are some more familiar thriller/horror tropes such as a one eyed doll called Annie Eyes, black beetles and more, but C.J Tudor has done a fantastic job at incorporating them into her book.

The chapters that flashed back to the past were some of my favourite scenes. The mines in particular were very creepy and I felt chills run down my spine.

The book had many twists and turns that I never saw coming. Almost everything finally ties together but there is some more sinister that is left unanswered at the end of the book. I love the way C.J Tudor ends her books and I really enjoyed how she left this book with something unanswered.

C.J Tudor is a fantastic writer. I actually can't decide which was my favourite; this book or The Chalk Man but, I can easily see The Hiding Place being one of my favourite books of the year. If you love thrillers then I highly recommend picking up this book.


No comments:

Post a Comment