Thursday 19 October 2017

REVIEW: That Inevitable Victorian Thing by E.K Johnston

Genre: Young Adult, Historical Fiction

Publisher: Dutton Books

ISBN: 1101994975

Format: Hardcover

Release Date: October 3rd 2017


Links: Goodreads, Amazon.com, Indigo
B&N, Book Depository

Website, Twitter, Instagram, Tumblr


Rating: 8/10



Synopsis:


Set in a near-future world where the British Empire was preserved, not by the cost of blood and theft but by effort of repatriation and promises kept, That Inevitable Victorian Thing is a novel of love, duty, and the small moments that can change people and the world.
Victoria-Margaret is the crown princess of the empire, a direct descendant of Victoria I, the queen who changed the course of history two centuries earlier. The imperial practice of genetically arranged matchmaking will soon guide Margaret into a politically advantageous marriage like her mother before her, but before she does her duty, she'll have one summer incognito in a far corner of empire. In Toronto, she meets Helena Marcus, daughter of one of the empire's greatest placement geneticists, and August Callaghan, the heir apparent to a powerful shipping firm currently besieged by American pirates. In a summer of high-society debutante balls, politically charged tea parties, and romantic country dances, Margaret, Helena, and August discover they share an unusual bond and maybe a one in a million chance to have what they want and to change the world in the process —just like the first Queen Victoria.




Review: 


Before I get started can we talk about the cover?
It honestly is one of the prettiest covers I've seen; the colours, the design and the typography. I adore this book cover!

So onto the book. Well what can I say? I loved it!

I knew this book was being released but I had actually forgotten about it until I saw the wonderful E.K Johnston tweet that herself and fellow author, Kristen Ciccarelli had signed a bunch of books at my local bookstore. So what do I do? What any normal bookworm does; rush to the store and manage to pick up signed copies of this book, Spindle (also by E.K Johnston) and The Last Namsara signed. 

I didn't know what to expect when I started the book (I only knew bits and pieces of what the story was about) but I'm so happy I bought it. I love E.K Johnston's writing and this book didn't disappoint.

So we focus on a few characters which, I admit, at first I personally struggled to keep up with them all. But the moment they all came together was brilliantly executed! I don't want to spoil anything but I did have a feeling about the true identities of Henry and Lizzie.

I felt that there was great  LGBTQ+ representation in this novel; we had a mix of G, L and Demi which I loved. First of all, there's the diversity; character are described as wearing hijabs and kimonos to balls, which was lovely and creative. There are little details everywhere in the book that place it firmly into history.

I also loved that it was set in Toronto! It's rare to read a book where you have actually been to the places it mentions! I really loved that about this book. I also really enjoyed the maps of Canada and Toronto; it really helped picture exactly where the various characters were travelling.

I've read a few reviews were some other people feel as if it 'glorifies' the British Empire, so I just wanted to touch on that. To a certain level I suppose it does. However, when reading I personally felt as if it was an alternate universe-type setting; where the British Empire didn't have all the extreme issues we know. I know not everyone may agree with me on this but that's just my personal opinion.

What makes this book stand out to me is the complex world building. I really enjoyed the idea of a world with Victorian culture, but with technology and more modern social ideas. I would love to read even more about the world.

Onto the ending, I loved it! I really enjoyed how E.K Johnston tied everything together and I would love to read a sequel. If you've read the book you'll know exactly why I want there to be a sequel.











No comments:

Post a Comment