Tuesday 3 July 2018

REVIEW: The Fourth Closet by Scott Cawthon and Kira Breed-Wrisley

Genre: Horror

Publisher: Scholastic Inc.

ISBN: 1338139320

Format: Paperback, E-Book, Audio-Book

Release Date: 26th June 2018


Links: Goodreads, Amazon.com, Indigo,
B&N, Book Depository

Website


Rating: 9/10


Synopsis:

What really happened to Charlie? It's the question that John can't seem to shake, along with the nightmares of Charlie's seeming death and miraculous reappearance. John just wants to forget the whole terrifying saga of Freddy Fazbear's Pizza, but the past isn't so easily buried.
Meanwhile, there's a new animatronic pizzeria opening in Hurricane, along with a new rash of kidnappings that feel all too familiar. Bound together by their childhood loss, John reluctantly teams up with Jessica, Marla, and Carlton to solve the case and find the missing children. Along the way, they'll unravel the twisted mystery of what really happened to Charlie, and the haunting legacy of her father's creations.






Review:


I've been excited for this book since reading the second book in the series. It was one of my most anticipated reads for 2018 so I couldn't wait to get my hands on it.

(Read my reviews for The Silver Eyes and The Twisted Ones before reading this review!)

I knew I'd love this book. The Five Night's series had always been a favourite of mine and I have loved all the books released so far. 

The storyline starts with John struggling to come to terms with the changes in Charlie. There is a small time jump from the events that happened in The Twisted Ones and this book is told more from John's perspective than with Charlie like in the previous books.

The series can get a little confusing but I love how the books connect to the games. I was wondering when various animatronics from the games would pop into the book series, and it finally happened with this one.

The books bring something new to an already fantastic game series. It adds even more to the lore/storyline and I'd honestly love to read more books set in this universe. It brings back elements from the previous 2 books to tie everything together in a perfect ending. 

The book was full of many twists and turns that I wasn't expecting. Just when you thought everything was okay, something else would be thrown into the mix creating even more mystery and creepiness.

As far as pure horror, this is easily the darkest and most grotesque of the trilogy, and yet the most suspenseful moments in the book are often when a single experience was stretched into an entire chapter. I found myself looking for any hidden meanings or mysterious that linked to all games and other books that Scott Cawthon has released. I didn't want to miss a thing.

You definitely have to read the first 2 books before jumping into this one. A lot of loose ends finally come together and the book/series ties of nicely. The ending was a little confusing and I did go back and read it again before finally understanding everything that had happened. Again, there were a lot of characters to keep track of but I think this book pulled it off better than the previous two. I loved that we finally got to see more of the animatronics from the various games in this book, including the return of new ones introduced in the books. 

This series is fantastic for fans of the popular game series. If you haven't checked out any of the books or games I highly recommend you do.





No comments:

Post a Comment