Tuesday 5 June 2018

REVIEW: Blood Will Out by Jo Treggiari

Genre: Young Adult, Horror, Thriller, Mystery

Publisher: PenguinTeen

ISBN: 0735262950

Format: Hardback, E-Book

Release Date: 5th June 2018


Links: Goodreads, Amazon.com, Indigo,
B&N, Book Depository


Rating: 8/10


Synopsis:

Ari Sullivan is alive—for now.

She wakes at the bottom of a cistern, confused, injured and alone, with only the shadowy recollection of a low-pitched voice and a gloved hand. No one can hear her screams. And the person who put her there is coming back. The killer is planning a gruesome masterpiece, a fairytale tableau of innocence and blood, meticulously designed.
Until now, Ari was happy to spend her days pining for handsome, recent-arrival Stroud Bellows, fantasizing about their two-point-four-kids-future together. Safe in her small hometown of Dempsey Hollow. But now her community has turned very dangerous—and Ari may not be the only intended victim.








Review: 



**Thanks to Penguin Random House Canada for sending me a free copy**



I was really looking forward to reading Blood Will Out and I ended up really enjoying it. 

Ari wakes inside a cistern with no idea how she got there. No one can hear her screams and she doesn't know how long she will last. She desperately tries to find a way out all the while the person who put her there is making their way back.

I loved the beginning of the book. The parts I enjoyed reading the most were during the time Ari spent trapped in the cistern. I loved the over-looming threat of the person coming back for her while she tries to piece everything back together. 

I really enjoyed the flashbacks into Ari's life. It really helped piece together the type of character she was and how she ended up trapped.

The only disappointing thing for me was that I was expecting a lot more threat. Ari wasn't trapped for as long as I was expecting and I felt she found her way out fairly easily when it should have perhaps been a lot harder. I wanted more threat and horror. Though that isn't to say there wasn't any. The book was very disturbing and creepy. I was just hoping for a little more.

I was constantly guessing at who the person was and even when I thought I knew it turned out I was wrong. The twist at the end of the book was handled fantastically well. 

The book switches between Ari's profile and the killer/kidnapper's which I did enoy but felt the book dragged a little because of it. There was a lot of backstory as to why the killer/kidnapper was the way they were which I personally felt could have been cut back a little. 

Overall, the book was enjoyable. I just felt there could have been a little more suspense and thrill to it.








No comments:

Post a Comment