Tuesday 26 June 2018

REVIEW: Julia Vanishes by Catherine Egan

Genre: Fantasy, Young Adult

Publisher: PenguinRandom House

ISBN: 0553524879

Format: Hardback, Paperback

Release Date: 7th June 2016


Links: Goodreads, Amazon.com, Indigo,
B&N, Book Depository

Website, Twitter, Instagram


Rating: 8/10


Synopsis:

Julia has the unusual ability to be . . . unseen. Not invisible, exactly. Just beyond most people's senses. It's a dangerous trait in a city that has banned all forms of magic and drowns witches in public Cleansings. But it's a useful trait for a thief and a spy. And Julia has learned--crime pays.


She's being paid very well to infiltrate the grand house of Mrs. Och and report back on the odd characters who live there and the suspicious dealings that take place behind locked doors.


But what Julia uncovers shakes her to the core. She certainly never imagined that the traitor in the house would turn out to be . . . her.




Review:


**Thanks to PenguinRandom House Canada for sending me a free copy**




I first heard about Julia Vanishes at the PenguinTeen Canada social. The event was amazing and this book was one I added to the top of my tbr. Then the kind people at PenguinRandom House sent me the first 2 books in the series! So today I'll be reviewing just the first book, but be on the lookout for a review of book 2 coming soon!


Our main character is Julia, a young girl with the special ability to slip away beyond people's sense. The premise of the storyline was fascinating. She was a strong character and I loved her character.  The execution of her mother early in her life leaves her with an emptiness that she desperately tries to fill. 

She was written with a lot of emotion and life, facing everyday struggles just as any typical normal girl. I really enjoyed reading about her thoughts while she slipped away from people around her. She wasn't seen in higher regard due to her talent, instead she was treated equally and those close to her also had talents.

There isn't any 'forced romance' which I loved. It's always nice to find a book without a major love interest. Julia has a strong relationship with her brother and they cope on one another while coping with the death of their Mother. The characters were wonderfully written and I loved reading and learning about all of them. 

At first, I struggled to get into the book. It was a little slow starting but I'm really happy I continued. I ended up loving the story and all the characters. It's a book with a unique twist of witchcraft and is filled with fantasy elements mixed with mystery and suspense. It's a brilliant start to the series and I look forward to reading the rest of the books. 





No comments:

Post a Comment