Friday 12 October 2018

Books to Read in the Fall





Last year I put together a list of some books that I thought were perfect to 
read for Halloween. I loved putting the list together and thought I would 
do it again!

This year I put together a list of books that I thought were perfect for the 
fall and/or Halloween. (You can check out my post from
last year here).

So let's just jump into it!







The Wicked Deep 
by Shea Ernshaw





This book is perfect for fall and Halloween. Witches, secrets and a cursed town? What more could you ask for?


SYNOPSIS

Two centuries ago 3 sisters were accused of witchcraft and 
sentenced to death. Every year the town awaits the sisters return as they lure their victims into the depths of the ocean. Penny is a normal girl living her life in the small town. Then one summer, on the eve of the sisters return, Bo Carter arrives 
but he doesn't realise the danger he is in. The townspeople turn against one another as the sisters return continue and it's up to Penny to try and protect Bo.


You can check it out on Goodreads here
and read my review here








Small Spaces 
by Katherine Arden




A creepy book, scarecrows and a haunted town. Small Spaces has everything that's perfect for a good Halloween read. This book is for middle-grade readers but there is no reason you shouldn't pick this book up. I was hooked from the start and couldn't put it down.


SYNOPSIS

Ollie is coping with her Mother's death, when one day she comes across a woman trying to drown a book in a creek. She rescues the book and it reveals the story of a young women, two young men and the 'smiling man'. When on a trip to Smoke Hallow she realises that the book may just be the key to her and her classmates survival.


You can check the book out on Goodreads here
and read my review here







City of Ghosts 
by Victoria Schwab



Earlier this year Victoria Schwab released her very first middle-grade novel. I couldn't wait to pick this book up and I ended up loving it. 


SYNOPSIS

Cassidy's parents are ghost investigators but she can see ghosts for real and one is even her best friend. When on a trip to Edinburgh she meets Lara, a girl who also sees the dead. She is told that it is their job to help them pass through the veil permanently but Cassidy isn't so sure. But soon her powers draw her into an epic fight between the living and dead so that she can save herself.


You can check out the book on Goodreads here








The Price Guide to the Occult 
by Leslye Walton



This book first caught my eye because of the bright neon yellow cover and red stained pages. I knew I just had to have it. Though perhaps not the scariest book, this book is still perfect to read during the fall period.


SYNOPSIS

 Rona Blackburn landed on Anathema Island more than a century ago. When her neighbours try to burn her out due to her powers she curses them. A hundred or so years later, Nor Blackburn just wants to live a normal life and with her unexceptional powers she hopes it's possible. But a threat looms that threatens to strangle her hopes for happiness.


You can check it out on Goodreads here








The Dark Descent of Elizabeth Frankenstein 
by Kiersten White




This book was one of my most anticipated  books of this year.  I was lucky enough to receive  an arc of this book from the publisher and I loved it. This book was amazing and I couldn't put it down from start to finish. I still need to pick up a finished copy, but if you haven't checked out this book I highly recommend you do.


SYNOPSIS

Elizabeth hasn't had a proper meal for week and is covered in bruises from her 'caregiver'. Then she is brought into the home of Victor Frankenstein, a boy who has everything - except a friend. He is her escape from misery and she will do almost anything to make him happy. She is given food, shelter and a warm bed. But it comes at a price. Elizabeth's survival depends on Victor's dangerous temper and entertaining his every whim. She is determined to stay alive even as darkness consumes the world around here.


You can check it out on Goodreads here
and read my review here







And that's it!

There are a bunch more books I probably could have added to this list but 
I decided to stick with just five. 

Have you read any of these books?
Did I miss any of your favourites?





No comments:

Post a Comment