Sunday 31 December 2017

Bookmas Day Eleven: Artemis by Andy Wier Review




Welcome to day 11 of Bookmas and the second to last day. Tomorrow will be my last post of Bookmas. 

But today I am giving you my review of Artemis by Andy Wier, so let's jump to it.




Genre: Sci-fi/Adult

Publisher: Crown Publishing 

ISBN: 0553448129

Format: Hardback, Paperback, Audio-book
E-Book

Release Date: November 14th 2017





Rating: 7/10



Synopsis:

Jazz Bashara is a criminal.

Well, sort of. Life on Artemis, the first and only city on the moon, is tough if you're not a rich tourist or an eccentric billionaire. So smuggling in the occasional harmless bit of contraband barely counts, right? Not when you've got debts to pay and your job as a porter barely covers the rent.

Everything changes when Jazz sees the chance to commit the perfect crime, with a reward too lucrative to turn down. But pulling off the impossible is just the start of her problems, as she learns that she's stepped square into a conspiracy for control of Artemis itself—and that now, her only chance at survival lies in a gambit even riskier than the first. 




Review:


**Penguin Random House sent me this book, for free, in return for my honest review**


Artemis is the first book of Andy Weir's that I've read and I have to say I loved it. I definitely want to pick up The Martian sometime in the future.

Our main character is Jazz, a girl who sneaks in contraband items for some extra money to pay debts. She was a funny and independen character. However, I did feel at times she seemed younger than she was with how she spoke and interacted with people. She also had a very childish sense of humor which did make me laugh many times. I did feel she was a little too reckless and stupid at times; especially with how many times she was told how smart she was. I did love that she wasn't afraid of a little danger.

Some of my favourite scenes from the book included Jazz interacting with a Ukrainian character, Martin Svoboda. Throughout the entire book I was rooting for Jazz and Martin to get together; I found their entire relationship fantastic and funny. All of the characters are very diverse; our main character is from Saudi Arabia, we also have Ukrainian, Russian, Hungarian, etc. which was fantastic to see.

The entire setting of the book is fantastic. You can really tell how much thought and research had gone into the novel to create the world on the moon. I loved how much work had gone into it and the maps included really helped picture Artemis. All the technological terms and descriptions did get a little overwhelming at times but I still enjoyed and appreciated how much work had gone into creating this world.

There is a lot of suspense and thrill while reading the novel. The action kicks off straight away with Jazz thrown into a dangerous situation which had me gripped from the very start. I ended up not putting the book down until I was finished. There was never a dull or boring moment.

It's been a while since I've enjoyed or read an adult sci-fi book so I'm happy I started with this one and loved it. 

No comments:

Post a Comment