Wednesday 27 December 2017

Bookmas Day Seven: Favourite Books of 2017



Welcome to day seven of Bookmas where I share my top ten favourite books that I read in 2017!

I hope you all had a wonderful Christmas!

In 2017 I read around 92 books (I keep track on Goodreads) which is a lot more than I thought I would read. A lot of these included advanced readers copies (arcs), manga and a whole lot of fantasy. 

So let's jump into it...





Eliza and her Monsters 
by Francesca Zappia


This book was amazing. I had been in the mood to read some contemporary for a while before deciding to pick this one up. Once I did I breezed through it. I loved every second of this. The main character, Eliza, was fantastically written and how Francesca Zappia portrayed mental health was fantastic. 

SYNOPSISEliza is the anonymous creator of the comic sensation Monstrous Sea. 
But when Eliza’s secret is accidentally shared with the world, everything she’s built—her story, her relationship with Wallace, and even her sanity—begins to fall apart. 

You can check out my full review that I posted on my blog here.






The Last Namsara 
by Kristen Cicceralli


I can't talk more highly about this book. 

I picked it up, signed, on it's release day and immediately started reading. I could not put this book down and it became my number one fantasy book of 2017! 

I also had the pleasure of meeting Kristen Cicceralli at a local book signing. Of course, I had to get a copy signed so I'm now the proud owner of two copies. I highly recommend this book and I plan on rereading it again sometime soon!

SYNOPSIS: Asha is the daughter of the king of Firgaard and has grown up learning in hushed whispers, drawn to the forbidden figures of the past. It isn’t until she becomes the fiercest, most feared dragon slayer in the land that she takes on the role of the next Iskari. When she’s offered the chance to gain her freedom in exchange for the life of the most powerful dragon in Firgaard, she finds that there may be more truth to the ancient stories than she ever could have expected.

You can check out the full review I did here and my top favourite fantasy books of 2017 here

Rating: 10/10





A Court of Wings and Ruin by Sarah J Maas


How could this book not be on my list?

This was probably my most anticipated book of the year and I loved it! Sarah J Maas is a fantastic author and this conclusion to the trilogy was done fantastically. I had the pleasure of meeting her at a signing here in Canada (which I think was her first Canadian signing?) and I now own all of the ACOTAR books signed. 

SYNOPSISFeyre has returned to the Spring Court, determined to gather information on Tamlin's manoeuvrings and the invading king threatening to bring Prythian to its knees. As war bears down upon them all, Feyre must decide who to trust amongst the dazzling and lethal High Lords – and hunt for allies in unexpected places. 

I'm really excited for A Court of Frost and Starlight next year and to seeing what plans she has for the other characters.


Rating: 10/10




Image from Goodreads


Fruits Basket Collectors Edition #1 
by Natsuki Takaya




I loved fantasy books and I also love manga. After eyeing Fruits Basket for a while I finally picked up a copy of the collector's edition; I'm so happy I've finally read it.

SYNOPSIS: Fruits Basket is about a young girl taken in by a family who have the ability to turn into the zodiac animals when touched by someone of the opposite gender. As you can imagine this leads to some funny situations.

There is also an anime alongside the manga that I haven't watched yet. But I can imagine it's just as good as the manga!

I highly recommend this manga- it's fun, light-hearted and a quick read!

Links: Goodreads, Amazon.com

Rating: 9/10







Stalking Jack the Ripper by Kerri Maniscalco


This book was on my radar since its release and I finally picked it up this year!

SYNOPSIS: Audrey Rose is a girl who loves forensic science. After a series of dead bodies appear in mysterious ways she finds her path crossing with the deadly Jack the Ripper. With many shocks and twists along the way will Audrey Rose find the killer before it's too late?

I haven't put a review up on my blog yet but I plan too! So be on the lookout for that and make sure to check out this book if you haven't already!

Links:
Goodreads, Amazon.com

Rating: 9/10





Hunting Prince Dracula
by Kerri Maniscalco


Well I included the first book and the second came out September this year. So I just had to include it on this list!

SYNOPSIS: This book continues our story of Audrey Rose and Thomas as they take their journey to Bram Castle and the mysteries it holds. After a series of murders they once again find themselves in the middle; trying to figure out the truth before it's too late.

This is another of Kerri Maniscalco's books that I couldn't put down. I pre-ordered the book as soon as I could and finished it in a day. I plan on posting a review sometime soon but until then check out the book with the links I've provided below!


Rating: 10/10






Outlander 
by Diana Gabaldon


This one took me a while to read. The book was huge and I admit I was rather intimidated. But I didn't let that stop me and made my way through it! Now I'm waiting to get my hands on the sequel and watched the first season of the Outlander T.V show in anticipation!

SYNOPSIS: Outlander is a tale of romance and time travel. Claire finds herself travelling to Scotland in 1743 and meets Jaime Fraser. Hurled back in time with forces she doesn't understand, Claire faces conflict that could threaten her life and shatter her heart.

Be sure to check out this book if you haven't. It may seem daunting but I promise it's worth it.


Rating: 9/10




Turtles all the Way Down
by John Green


I was surprised by how much I loved this book. 

I'm sure many of you have heard of this author and this book. It was one of my most anticipated  books of the year and I couldn't wait to get my hands on it. Honestly I wasn't too sure what to expect but I can't get over how much I loved it. The mental health portrayal was done fantastically and I found myself never wanting the story to end.

SYNOPSIS: Aza is trying. She is trying to be a good daughter, a good friend, a good student, and maybe even a good detective, while also living within the ever-tightening spiral of her own thoughts. Aza never intended to pursue the mystery of fugitive billionaire Russell Pickett, but there’s a hundred-thousand-dollar reward at stake and her Best and Most Fearless Friend, Daisy, is eager to investigate.

I couldn't put this book down from start to finish and I highly recommend you check it out if you haven't already. This book truly deserves a place on this list.


Rating: 10/10





That Inevitable Victorian Thing 
by E.K Johnston


I picked this up the day it was released and read it the same day. This book was fantastic.

SYNOPSIS: That Inevitable Victorian Thing takes place within Ontario, Canada. In this near-future world, the British Empire was preserved by effort of repatriation and promises. Victoria-Margaret is a relative of Victoria I and soon to be Queen. She travels to Toronto where she meets Helena Marcus and August Callaghan. They discover they share an unusual bond and maybe a one in a million chance to have what they want and to change the world in the process.

I didn't put this book down until I had finished. The cover is just as beautiful as the story and I can't recommend it more!

You can check out my full review here


Rating: 8/10




The Star-Touched Queen
by 
Roshani Chokshi 


I read this one during the summer after hearing so many good things about it. I actually picked it up on Bookoutlet (highly recommend you check them out!) for a fantastic price. As soon as I had my hands on it I finished it in a day. I loved it. 

Roshani Chokshi is a fantastic writer. I love how she writes and how magical everything is. Maya is a well written female character who thinks for herself and does what she believes in.

SYNOPSIS: The Star-Touched Queen features a main character called Maya who believes she is cursed. She has a horoscope that promises a marriage of death and destructionHer whole world is torn apart when her Father arranges a wedding of political convenience to quell outside rebellions. Soon Maya becomes the Queen of Akaran and wife of AmarBut Akaran has its own secrets—thousands of locked doors, gardens of glass, and a tree that bears memories instead of fruit. Soon, Maya suspects her life is in danger. Yet who, besides her husband, can she trust?

I don't have a review up on my blog but if you'd like one let me know in the comments!





So that is the end of my top ten favourite books of 2017. It was pretty hard to narrow it down to only ten when there were so many more I enjoyed.

Did you read any of these books this year?
What made your top 10 books of the year?

Check out the rest of Bookmas and look forward to another post tomorrow! 

No comments:

Post a Comment