Thursday 21 December 2017

Bookmas Day Four: Furthermore by Tahereh Mafi Review



It's day four of Bookmas!

Today I'm finally getting round to reviewing Furthermore by Tahereh Mafi !
Be on the look out for my review of Whichwood tomorrow!





Image from Goodreads
Genre: Fantasy/Middle-grade

Publisher: Dutton Books

ISBN: 1101994762

Release Date: August 30th 2016

Format: Paperback/Hardback/

E-book/Audio-book





Rating: 8/10


Synopsis:

Alice Alexis Queensmeadow, 12, rates three things most important: Mother, who wouldn’t miss her; magic and color, which seem to elude her; and Father, who always loved her. Father disappeared from Ferenwood with only a ruler, almost three years ago. But she will have to travel through the mythical, dangerous land of Furthermore, where down can be up, paper is alive, and left can be both right and very, very wrong. Her only companion is Oliver whose own magic is based in lies and deceit. Alice must first find herself—and hold fast to the magic of love in the face of loss.


Review:


So, I finally picked up Furthermore after it being on my tbr for a year. AND I LOVED IT.

This is the first novel that I have read by Tahereh Mafi and it's only made me want to pick up more of them. This book is very magical and whimsical- I loved every second and smiled throughout the novel. I especially liked that the novel was told in 3rd person but that we are also talked to directly. It made the novel seem even more whimsical and personal. The way everything was described was done beautifully and I'd love to know even more about the worlds of Furthermore and Ferenwood.

The novel was very reminiscent of Alice in Wonderland. A girl named Alice travels to a magical world 'down the rabbit hole' but that doesn't mean there aren't many unique aspects. For one the land of Furthermore was especially fascinating. I loved that each town had different magic and you didn't know to expect. The amount of imagination and thought that went into the book is amazing.

I adored the main character, Alice. She's a brave 12 year old who will do anything to get her Father back. She is just like any child- stubborn and determined but doesn't let anything stop her.


The children seemed much older than they were. There were many times where I felt I was reading from an older teenagers perspective than a 12 year old. 

I did feel the ending was a little rushed. It seemed she found her Father and then everything was back to normal. They escape back to Ferenwood and go back to their life's. However, I still loved this novel. I would also love to read more about the Queens of each land and how they came to be (especially with how menacing they seemed).

I can't wait to read Whichwood. If it is anything like this one I won't be putting it down until I'm finished. This book may be more aimed towards the middle-grade age group but there is no reason why others cannot enjoy this novel too.






And that's the end of day four of Bookmas!

Make sure to check back tomorrow for my review of Whichwood!

No comments:

Post a Comment